iggy info(need help)
  • jimbatesjimbates December 2006
    hi all.i just bought a green baby iguana from pets world.i think its about 2 monts old.the problem is my iggy doesnt have the motivation to eat at all.i dont know what to do.now i force feed my iggy e'day with kangkung.s'imes feed with fruits.but m iggy never eat what i give if not orced.can any one help me??my iggy seems to get scared to me also...help!!! cry
  • December 2006 Edit
    I am not an expert on iggy but if ur iggy is not eating maybe it is not digesting well. Do u have a UV light and a basking Spot light. Reptiles need heat and UV to digest their food. And u need to get them calcium and D3 powder to add to their food. D3 prevent them from getting MBD.

** If i am mistaken, I hope someone with more experience can correct me. TQ!!!
  • December 2006 Edit
    Do you sun bath your iggy? Most of the time sun bathing iggy can help to cure them. Just the matter of time. Try sun bath it. It may help. Continue providing them fresh vege even it doesnt really take. Chop those vege into small pieces which can be eaten by your iggy. Try few other vege like collard green, dandelion greens, choi sam, pak choi... Like alligator_28 said, sprinkle some calcium powder onto the vege for your iggy to eat. but you need to sun bath it as those calcium it consumed require UVB to transform it into vit D3.

Those iggy in PW dont really look good & they are very young, small iggy. It needs a lot of care. They can easily get sick during that age.
  • December 2006 Edit
    Ya...try sun-bathing it. Should help. Keep us updated on ur iggy. Hope it gets well soon.
  • December 2006 Edit
    Make sure you take it in when its mouth is open. If not your iggy will dehydrated. But you can leave it under shade near sun light as the heat can keep him active & digesting the food it consumed.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote8ff353c461="babymoli"]Make sure you take it in when its mouth is open. If not your iggy will dehydrated. But you can leave it under shade near sun light as the heat can keep him active & digesting the food it consumed.[/quote8ff353c461]

Does having a basking light and a UVB light complement for natural sun light. I know that having the natural source of sunlight is the best. But 4 ppl with a 9am-5pm schedule, is it ok?
  • December 2006 Edit
    Still ok but the iggy wont be active with that basking light & UVB tube. It is better if you can sun bath it at least, at least once a week with natural sun for 2hours. My iggy looks like lazy butt if he's only basking with basking light. If he has his sun bath, he's totally active jumping here & there, doing stunt inside his cage. You can differentiate an iggy that is always depending on bulb & another one with natural sun light. Their skin color make a big difference.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quoteca021932b2="babymoli"]Still ok but the iggy wont be active with that basking light & UVB tube. It is better if you can sun bath it at least, at least once a week with natural sun for 2hours. My iggy looks like lazy butt if he's only basking with basking light. If he has his sun bath, he's totally active jumping here & there, doing stunt inside his cage. You can differentiate an iggy that is always depending on bulb & another one with natural sun light. Their skin color make a big difference.[/quoteca021932b2]

Noted. TQ 4 the info.
  • December 2006 Edit
    You're welcome. Hope what i have experienced can help the others. Just giving info regarding what i have researched & experienced. ^^
  • December 2006 Edit
    thanks so much guys!!im not expecting the many replies from many forumers in a short time.waaa so impressed.

anway i provide light that will only give heat to my iggy but dont have the uv bulb.is it suficient to for my iggy??im staying in tampin now and dint know where to find the uv bulb.can anyone tell me where to find and how much will it cost?and the supplements..vitamins and all..

i turn on the light for about 6 hours a day but often i will handle my iggy to give familiarization to me.its ok right??well i guess i hv a lot to learn and hope u guys can help.

thanks so so much fo the info and support.cheers D
  • December 2006 Edit
    here are some pic of my iggy.

[img7fb7eb386f]http//i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/jimbates/10-12-06_1009.jpg[/img7fb7eb386f]

[img7fb7eb386f]http//i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/jimbates/10-12-06_1021.jpg[/img7fb7eb386f]
  • December 2006 Edit
    I am looking for UV light too. Wen i find then i let u know since ur bro in melaka rite. My supplier getting stock soon. By the way how big is ur enclosure. Maybe u can take a photo of it. The UV light must be able to fit ur tank. TQ.
  • December 2006 Edit
    He still young & you can handle him whenever you want. Just make sure that you can give him sun bath everyday. If you do so then without the UVB bulb is ok. I'm not sure in tampin but KL can get quite a lot supplements for reptiles. May be he's just new to the environment. How long do you have him? Bath him once awhile with lukewarm water as it helps in shedding. When you find your iggy is shedding, do bath him often. The progress of shedding would be faster & easier for your iggy. By the way, he looks ok to me & he's quite green.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote7180a47ded="jimbates"]thanks so much guys!!im not expecting the many replies from many forumers in a short time.waaa so impressed.

anway i provide light that will only give heat to my iggy but dont have the uv bulb.is it sufficient to for my iggy??im staying in tampin now and dint know where to find the uv bulb.can anyone tell me where to find and how much will it cost?and the supplements..vitamins and all..

i turn on the light for about 6 hours a day but often i will handle my iggy to give familiarization to me.its ok right??well i guess i hv a lot to learn and hope u guys can help.

thanks so so much fo the info and support.cheers D[/quote7180a47ded]

Jimbates, bulb light is not the same as UV light. This is because, bulb light doesn't produce UV ray. If i not mistaken, 2 feet lamp will cost you RM150. Calcium supplement could be cost RM30. U can ask alligator for more info.
  • December 2006 Edit
    alligator_28 plz let me know when the stock is in ok..thanks dude.anway i keep my iggy in 2 ft tank.but my iggy sees afraid of me and always wanna run away whenever i put him down.but im not giving up just yet coz i think my iggy still need the time right.

hmm if a'one can help me with the bulb will be great.will try to find the suplement and the bulb soon.thanks guyz! D
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quoteb60a2e16ab="dobot"]
    Jimbates, bulb light is not the same as UV light. This is because, bulb light doesn't produce UV ray. If i not mistaken, 2 feet lamp will cost you RM150. Calcium supplement could be cost RM30. U can ask alligator for more info.[/quoteb60a2e16ab]

Yup. The basking bulb only provides UVA which is the heat that's not enough for an iggy that doesnt have sun bathing everyday. The highest UVB can a tube provides is only 8%. Cant get higher than that in M'sia.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote5638046a78="jimbates"]alligator_28 plz let me know when the stock is in ok..thanks dude.anway i keep my iggy in 2 ft tank.but my iggy sees afraid of me and always wanna run away whenever i put him down.but im not giving up just yet coz i think my iggy still need the time right.

hmm if a'one can help me with the bulb will be great.will try to find the suplement and the bulb soon.thanks guyz! D[/quote5638046a78]

The 2ft tank is not enough for your iggy. Now may be ok but within a year, your iggy will out grown of that tank. Is normal for him to run away. My boy now still running away from me.
  • December 2006 Edit
    yeah i figure the 2 ft tank wont be sufficient.but i have a bigger cage for m iggy from my recent pet.i guess it will be enough.but for now i can stick with the tank right??coz it makes it easy for me to bring my iggy to uni next year.

the uvb bulb is so expensive la..can i get a cheaper bulb??hehe im so broke!
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote04f9e588b9="jimbates"]
    yeah i figure the 2 ft tank wont be sufficient.but i have a bigget cage for m iggy from my recent pet.i guess it will be enough.but for now i can stick with the tank right??coz it makes it easy for me to bring my iggy to uni next year.

the uvb bulb is so expensive la..can i get a cheaper bulb??hehe im so broke![/quote04f9e588b9]

Yup. Currently is ok for him. About that tube i dont think is that expensive but if you include with the socket i think need. I didnt give my iggy the UVB tube cause i always bask him under the sun for whole day whenever there's sunny day.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quoted1a5c0c2b6="babymoli"]

Yup. Currently is ok for him. About that tube i dont think is that expensive but if you include with the socket i think need. I didnt give my iggy the UVB tube cause i always bask him under the sun for whole day whenever there's sunny day.[/quoted1a5c0c2b6]

well i will try to bask my iggy e'day but as we all know now there is no sun here for almost a week..huhu been raining since yesterday.anyhow i'll try my best.thanks
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote34f2e47da5="jimbates"]
    well i will try to bask my iggy e'day but as we all know now there is no sun here for almost a week..huhu been raining since yesterday.anyhow i'll try my best.thanks[/quote34f2e47da5]

Hahaha... My place here also the same. Already few days. But i will grab any chance when there's sunlight even just for 30min.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quoted1f0d4579d="jimbates"]alligator_28 plz let me know when the stock is in ok..thanks dude.anway i keep my iggy in 2 ft tank.but my iggy sees afraid of me and always wanna run away whenever i put him down.but im not giving up just yet coz i think my iggy still need the time right.

hmm if a'one can help me with the bulb will be great.will try to find the suplement and the bulb soon.thanks guyz! D[/quoted1f0d4579d]

The supplement i think can get soon, but the UVB light i dunno lo.
  • December 2006 Edit
    And for the the heating bulb, its not the common bulb, but get exo terra basking spot lamp (60w or 75 w), at least it will give it some heat to help with digestion.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote152eb0edbb="alligator_28"]And for the the heating bulb, its not the common bulb, but get exo terra basking spot lamp (60w or 75 w), at least it will give it some heat to help with digestion.[/quote152eb0edbb]

Yup. That's right. But dont place the bulb too high. Not more than 12inches, if not useless also. Have to becareful with your iggy as well. Dont let him get too near to the bulb too long, if not will burn him. The bulb needs to be replaced after 6months. You can continue using but it doesnt have that much effect already.
  • December 2006 Edit
    By the way, the bulb can tahan so long meh. Mine like after 3-5 months at most burn out dy. So i dun hv the problem of over-use. Hehe. I never knew bulb had a life span. And if too hot, the iggy won't move on its own meh? My fren's bearded dragon will go under the broken pot if it gets to hot, and wen its cold he comes out to bask again. Iggy's dun do that ah?
  • December 2006 Edit
    wow, i see great help from alligator_28 and babymoli regarding iguana sickness. Keep up the good work!

jimbates, please update ur iggy status if ur pet get cured and healthy, we sure happy to hear that from you. Cheers...
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote1b22887c1c="scoobydoo"]wow, i see great help from alligator_28 and babymoli regarding iguana sickness. Keep up the good work!

jimbates, please update ur iggy status if ur pet get cured and healthy, we sure happy to hear that from you. Cheers...[/quote1b22887c1c]

agree with u..alligator_28 and babymoli have been a great help.yeah sure i will post the updates.currently my iggy looks ok.but i still have to force feed my iggy.
    as for the enclosure i have put the wood chips for hamster..is that ok??coz i dont know what to put.and the bulbs is 60 watts i guess and can get the temperature up to 35 C.
    as for the food can anyone list what variation of food i should give to my iggy??and what is the best suplements and the beneit of it.thanks in advance guys!
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote5939c90805="alligator_28"]By the way, the bulb can tahan so long meh. Mine like after 3-5 months at most burn out dy. So i dun hv the problem of over-use. Hehe. I never knew bulb had a life span. And if too hot, the iggy won't move on its own meh? My fren's bearded dragon will go under the broken pot if it gets to hot, and wen its cold he comes out to bask again. Iggy's dun do that ah?[/quote5939c90805]

Hahaha... Mine also got burnt after 3months. But i was advice to change after 6months if the bulb can tahan till that long. Lol... My iggy seem not running away & i saw a mark on his head after that. Coz last time i just put on top of the flexarium right under he went hanging there. Now i just hang the socket few inches away from the top of flexarium.

jimbates Regarding the variety of food, you may get info from this website Green Ig Society. The most important supplement for iggy is reptiles calcium powder especially the D3 one. You using wood chip as bedding for you iggy right? Just make sure you get woods shaving. I think Chipsi Classic or Chipsi Super would be good as it is recommended for most hamsters, gerbils...
  • December 2006 Edit
    well my iggy is still runnig away from me like im some sort of enemy..haha.hmm for the bedding i am using the wood shaving so its cool right.
    so u guyz have any tips for not making my iggy run from me??mabe there are some tricks into it..plz help me guyz!!thanks

ps-thanks babymoli fot the link.
  • December 2006 Edit
    Hahaha... My iggy still runs away from me. You may need few months to tame him. Every iggy has different behaviour. Be patient & your iggy will not run away from you one day.
  • December 2006 Edit
    jimbates...u using wat kind of light? I wen to my supllier place just now, the reptile mineral will cost RM20.80, not including postage.
  • December 2006 Edit
    here is a pic for my iggy enclosure..plz comment for me to improve it..thanks!!

im in a stage to give my iggy privacy to acclimatize it to the new habitat.so from now on i will only handle my iggy to feed it.maybe after a week or so depends on the situation i will start to handle my iggy more otfen and hoping it will be tamer!!

so will update my iggy status!!

D hope e'thing will be as planed.

[img5b57db0a29]http//i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/jimbates/20-12-06_1623.jpg[/img5b57db0a29]

sorry for the blurry pic!
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote4568cd9ca2="alligator_28"]jimbates...u using wat kind of light? I wen to my supllier place just now, the reptile mineral will cost RM20.80, not including postage.[/quote4568cd9ca2]

im just using ordinary yellow bulb.i guess only provide UVA then.but it still produce heat to reach the suitable temperature around 35C.currently i hang the bulb on top of the aquarium.
    so alligator_28 u hv the uvb bulb??what is the reptile mineral main benefits?thanks dude
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quotea2df1867cf="jimbates"]here is a pic for my iggy enclosure..plz comment for me to improve it..thanks!!

im in a stage to give my iggy privacy to acclimatize it to the new habitat.so from now on i will only handle my iggy to feed it.maybe after a week or so depends on the situation i will start to handle my iggy more otfen and hoping it will be tamer!!

so will update my iggy status!!

D hope e'thing will be as planed.

[imga2df1867cf]http//i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/jimbates/20-12-06_1623.jpg[/imga2df1867cf]

sorry for the blurry pic![/quotea2df1867cf]

Get a branch for him to hang out. Iggy likes to hang on branch. You can get those fake branch like Exo Terra one. But make sure you close the top of the aquarium, if not iggy can escape.
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quotea50eca4bc6="babymoli"]

Get a branch for him to hang out. Iggy likes to hang on branch. You can get those fake branch like Exo Terra one. But make sure you close the top of the aquarium, if not iggy can escape.[/quotea50eca4bc6]

aha im drying a branch now but since its raining all week its still wet.i'll put it when its ready.thanks or the thought. D .any other idea??
  • December 2006 Edit
    Can put some fake leafy inside to make it like a natural environment..
  • December 2006 Edit
    cool enclosure babymoli....!!!! UVB usually not bulb but a tube. The meneral has some important mineral like calsium that ur iggy needs. It will also avoid ur iggy from getting MBD.
  • December 2006 Edit
    Yup. Here we can only get UVB tube. But i did see on website that Zoo Med has UVB bulb. Hehehe.. Trying so many months looking for it but till now havent find one here. Lol...
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote5411f96014="babymoli"]Show you my iggy's enclosure

[img5411f96014]http//img320.imageshack.us/img320/1847/picture0042gm0.jpg[/img5411f96014]

[img5411f96014]http//img145.imageshack.us/img145/7138/picture0045zw4.jpg[/img5411f96014]

[img5411f96014]http//img145.imageshack.us/img145/7793/picture0064qp3.jpg[/img5411f96014]

[img5411f96014]http//img170.imageshack.us/img170/9003/picture0065ts1.jpg[/img5411f96014][/quote5411f96014]

wow so cool.what type of light did u use??how much the enclosure cost u??im looking for one.i saw at pets wonderland mid valley.the sive is bout two ft and it cost around rm 120.thats alot for me.
    regarding the uvb tube,does it come in 2 ft size or bigger??i hv to get my hand at the cool net enclosure.can u help me list the pricing or the enclosure and the uvb set?
    babymoli need ur help lor to tell me where to get it and the bulb also..maybe one of this days i'll go down KL to buy.thanks
  • December 2006 Edit
    oh one more thing,ur iggy looks nice babymoli! D
  • December 2006 Edit
    It costs me RM150 for the enclosure & around RM10 for the Exo Terra basking bulb which alligator_28 mentioned. As for the socket for the bulb cost me at RM54. Brand is Exo Terra Porcelain Socket. Everything i bought at Pet Safari, Ikano. I got the member card so every Exo Terra products have 10% discount. I think the 2ft size Flexarium at PS is around RM100. Hehehe... The UVB tube has size for 2ft tank or even bigger. Dont worry about that. if you planning to buy the flexarium at Pet Safari, Dont forget to ask for the member card ya. Is free. May be you can ask alligator_28 to check with his supplier whether they sell Flexarium & other Exo Terra products.

Thanx. My boy looks a bit dull during these few days as he didnt have his sun bath due to rainy days. ><
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quotefbfdbe8eea="babymoli"]It costs me RM150 for the enclosure & around RM10 for the Exo Terra basking bulb which alligator_28 mentioned. As for the socket for the bulb cost me at RM54. Brand is Exo Terra Porcelain Socket. Everything i bought at Pet Safari, Ikano. I got the member card so every Exo Terra products have 10% discount. I think the 2ft size Flexarium at PS is around RM100. Hehehe... The UVB tube has size for 2ft tank or even bigger. Dont worry about that. if you planning to buy the flexarium at Pet Safari, Dont forget to ask for the member card ya. Is free. May be you can ask alligator_28 to check with his supplier whether they sell Flexarium & other Exo Terra products.

Thanx. My boy looks a bit dull during these few days as he didnt have his sun bath due to rainy days. ><[/quotefbfdbe8eea]

oh why is the socket so expensive..so the bulb u using is only providing UVA right??coz i just use the normal socket sold for rm 3.but plastic one la.well maybe i'll go to ikano later to buy the enclosure.as or the UVB tube does it com with the socket or seperatel..sorry guyz for the crowded question i shoot..thanks alot
  • December 2006 Edit
    [quote28a3f6d23a="jimbates"]
    oh why is the socket so expensive..so the bulb u using is only providing UVA right??coz i just use the normal socket sold for rm 3.but plastic one la.well maybe i'll go to ikano later to buy the enclosure.as or the UVB tube does it com with the socket or seperatel..sorry guyz for the crowded question i shoot..thanks alot[/quote28a3f6d23a]

Yup. The bulb only provides UVA which is the heat. Brand i think that cause the socket so expensive. But it is made of Porcelain, it can keep heat. The so call bowl shape is very hot. Hehehe... You have to buy the UVB tube & its socket separately. I think you only need to buy the tube, the socket you can get at electrical shop. Cheaper i think. If not mistaken, the Exo Terra socket for a 2ft tube is around RM100.
  • December 2006 Edit
    To be frank, the stuff for exotic pets are hard to get anywhere else apart from KL.
  • December 2006 Edit
    KL also certain petshops only sell & also expensive >.<
  • December 2006 Edit
    ya. these things dun come cheap.
  • December 2006 Edit
    well guys since im tight in budget im planning to DIY my iggy enclosure.
    the spec will be
    1. BIG
    2. easy to assemble
    3. light weight
    4. adjustable
    5. safe
    6. looks nice
    7. CHEAP!!

i'll start my project today and hoping to complete it by end of this week.all n all the finishing product should look similar like babymoli's enclosure coz i think it looks nice.it will have adjustable lighting post on the top to make it easy for the placement.

so if anyone hv more idea care to share it with me ok.
  • December 2006 Edit
    Can't wait to see it at the end of this week.
  • December 2006 Edit
    oh man my car ran out of batt just at the right time..hmm my visit to the hardware shop is delayed.nvm minor set back.so anyone hv more idea to help me??maybe in the construction method or something.any help would be much appreciated. D
  • December 2006 Edit
    Do you have a blueprint on doing that enclosure? May be you can use plastic paips for the structure of the enclosure. At each corner you can buy those connection & join each paip. Actually the flexarium i bought also using plastic. Just the cover use nylon. If you dont understand what i've been saying..I try get the pic for you. Just you have to search for the cover.

This is the connection i'm talking about

[img8443e6fa73]http//img145.imageshack.us/img145/1176/picture0042qk7.jpg[/img8443e6fa73]

Try search that 4connections at hardware shop & also the paips. Good luck in your work. Do hope to see it.